If you’re about to choose a Surrey painter to paint your garage, we recommend that you read this guide first.
Garage’s maintenance is often neglected by homeowners. It’s understandable, because you don’t live in your garage and may only see it occasionally, depending on whether you park in it or not, and where it’s located on your property.
While you might think, “It’s just a garage”, knowing what thorough, professional garage painting looks like before you find the right painting company can save you heartache. Garage painting that includes inspection and preparation ensures that your garage’s new paint not only looks good, but also lasts.
Quality Surrey Painters Inspect Before Painting
Before the painting begins, Blue Chip Painting will do a visual inspection of the interior and exterior of your garage. While some painters will skip this step, our experience has taught us that inspection is vital. If an inspection isn’t undertaken, a painting company could be painting over problems that may ruin the paint job a few months down the road. A detailed visual inspection reveals issues that should be fixed prior to painting.
A professional Surrey painter from Blue Chip will inspect both the exterior and interior of your garage.
- Cracks in siding or stucco
- Signs of rot, algae, mildew or mold on siding or stucco
- Stains that may indicate water ingress, clogged or damaged gutters
- Rain gutter and downspout problems
- Cracked and/or mildew stained caulk
- Window casements: gaps that let in moisture, rotting wood, failing window seals
- Foundation moisture issues
- Moisture wicking on siding or stucco near the ground
- Garage door seal integrity
- Mold, mildew and/or warping on walls that may indicate water ingress or moisture problems
- Cracks, dents and pitting on walls
- Wallboard that needs replacement
- Cracks, crumbling, moisture stains on concrete floors
- Interior window frame rot, cracks, gaps and seal integrity
- Ceiling cracks, mold or mildew
Most professional Surrey BC painters will look for the problems listed above before they provide an estimate for painting. If, when choosing a painter, an inspection is not offered, consider finding another painting company. It’s an unfortunate reality that “cowboys” exist in every field, including painting. Be aware that some painters just want to “get ’r done” as quickly as possible so they can move on to the next job. Your garage painting should get as much attention as your home.
Fix it Before We Paint It
Once an inspection is complete, Blue Chip can help you identify which problems must be addressed before painting, and which can be left for a later date. We do recommend replacing, updating or fixing any issue that is causing structural problems (rot, deep cracks or warping) or moisture problems (algae, mold, mildew, and stains). There’s no point painting over these to try to hide them. They won’t go away and it will cost you more in the long run.
Prep Before Paint
Once problems have been addressed, before we paint, we prepare all surfaces. Preparation includes:
- Pressure washing (of exterior walls), shot blasting of concrete floors
- Algae, moss, mold and mildew removal (when possible)
- Filling and caulking
Receive a Free Estimate for Garage Painting in Surrey BC
The Blue Chip team are expert Surrey painters that have provided garage painting (in addition to house painting) since 2006. Receive a free inspection and painting estimate today!